Our congregation was formally organized January 1, 1854 by Pastor Henry Koenig. The families also met with families from Florida in private homes. On September 13, 1875 the families at Florida formally organized a separate congregation, St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church, under the leadership of Pastor Adalbert Krafft. This Jewell Chapel was also known as the Settlement and was located at the Corner of Jewell and Egler Roads in Richland Township, Defiance, Ohio. In the fall of 1915 this chapel was moved to Florida, Ohio.
On Trinity Sunday 1881 the congregation at Florida dedicated their first church building which was later remodeled and enlarged several times.
This photo was taken around 1898, shows Pastor Henry Rottmann at the altar with children of the church.
The original St. Peter Ev. Lutheran Church and Parsonage, Florida, Ohio was dedicated on Trinity Sunday, 1881. Congregational picture taken around 1900.
Ground breaking for the new church was held in April of 1965 - Dedication was April 17, 1966.
Ground breaking of the Educational Wing - April 16, 1989 - Dedication was on December 3, 1989. We are so blessed with this beautiful facility where we host church gatherings, Sunday School, Preschool and much more.